It’s time to celebrate Erie! | KID Erie Macaroni
Macaroni KID Erie Publisher Kara Murphy is the Director of CelebrateErie’s Family District
CelebrateErie is back in 2022, after a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic. The biggest celebration of all things Erie in the area is happening this weekend, Friday August 19th through Sunday August 21st.
Macaroni KID Erie Editor Kara Murphy is proud to be the Director of CelebrateErie’s Family District for 2022. The Family District is one of five distinct districts you’ll find in CelebrateErie, each showcasing some of what makes Erie unique.
Here’s more information about the five districts you’ll find at CelebrateErie:
Photo courtesy of CelebrateErie
Celebrate the family
Family fun for kids, teens, parents and grandparents in the greatest family neighborhood ever. Family District hours of operation are noon to 7 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
- Interactive family experiences: from crafts and STEM to music and the arts, there’s something for everyone in the family to enjoy.
- Family neighborhood stage: music, dance and wellness activities for young and old.
- PAL Youth Basketball Tournament: Youth Basketball Tournament with Erie Police Athletic League (PAL) on Saturday August 20th.
- Basketball competition in 3 points: 3-point drop-in competition for youth and adults on Friday August 19 and Sunday August 21.
- Cornhole Tournament: Drop-in Cornhole Tournament for friends and families to join throughout the weekend.
Programming and activities in the family district:
Highmark because life
Children’s Miracle Network
Giant Eagle Snack Station
CHILDREN’S MUSEUM EXPERIENCE
Erie County Public Library
Park Tae Kwon Do
Card My garden
Giant Eagle Snack Station
Woodard Dynasty Entertainment
Erie News Now
Hagen History Center
Downtown District Art House
world of music
Erie Fire Department
Celebrate the music
The Music District comprises five stages – each with its own unique vibe and personality and featuring local and regional musical acts of all genres. Evening concerts will be headlining national bands on the main stage – X Ambassadors Friday; Mya and Ja reign on Saturday; and Jimmie Allen on Sunday.
There will also be interactive drumming circles and local and regional musical performances of all genres, followed by national headliners each evening.
- Main Stage (4th and State Streets): the region’s largest free music concert, hosting three nights of world-class musical acts and local opening acts.
- District Stages: four different stages showcasing the musical and scenic art of the region’s most talented artists.
- Interactive Drum Circles: drop-in drum circles for guests to join in and enjoy the collective beat.
See the full schedule of performances.
Celebrate the art
You’ll find an exhibit of our region’s visual arts, interactive demonstrations and artisan vendors in the Arts District, including:
- Chalk path: a colorful exhibition of over 40 street art masterpieces, showcasing a wide range of creative subject matter.
- Artisan sellers: artwork in all media, created and sold by some of Erie’s finest local artists.
- Demonstrator artists: watch artists create their works live, right on the street.
- Artist’s gallery: explore a local gallery dedicated to local art and artists.
- Erie Insurance Market: will feature a number of local artists in addition to the many small businesses showcased over a two-block stretch.
Enjoy the diversity of sights, sounds and tastes of the international cultures that call Erie home.
- Multicultural market: local merchants representing diverse cultures and wares from around the world.
- Unique gastronomy: a sampling of some of the best international food vendors that are unique to Erie.
- Jefferson Society Lecture Series: The Jefferson Educational Society will be offering a series of talks and events at CelebrateErie. All events will be held at City Hall (626 State Street). Find conference details and schedules here.
- This year, culture will be intertwined throughout the event, and the Erie Insurance Market will feature a diverse group of local vendors, artists and businesses showcasing their wares over a two-block expanse.
- Hair salon: A unique hair salon experience on the street with FREE haircuts, especially for those going back to school! Between South Park Row and 7th St.
Savor unique cuisine from our region, from food trucks and local restaurants to locally made wine and craft beer. CelebrateErie features some of Erie’s local favorites, including restaurants, food trucks and the new Flagship City Food Hall, as well as bars, restaurants and other establishments throughout the event space.
Restaurants / Caterers in Perry Square
- Brasserie at Union Station
- Stanganelli’s Italian Foods
- Three B’s Saloon
- Outlaw BBQ Revolution
- Connie’s ice cream
- The big cheese
- Mel’s Mobile Dinner
- spanish skillet
- Crazy Tortilla
- Happy Camper Snack Bar
More than 30 Erie hometown businesses and the people behind their success, all in one place in the business district.
- Small Business Retail Setups: designed to showcase and showcase the unique products sold right here in Erie.
- Interactive showcase: an exhibition of products and services from the Erie business community, including demonstrations and hands-on activities.
- Marketplace : The Erie Insurance Marketplace at CelebrateErie will feature a diverse group of vendors, artisans and local businesses showcasing their wares.
Click here for more information on CelebrateErie, including a map, schedule and program guide.
All images courtesy of CelebrateErie.